Monday, July 8, 2013

First Flight!

Carly has experienced her first airplane ride. 



Grandpa Jim and Grandma Heidi flew us out here for a visit. 

The flight went worse than I thought it would be. I have not heard Carly cry and scream more than she did on the flight. Of course if had to be in public where I couldn't even get up and walk around. I was hoping that Carly would eat and sleep more like she does at home. Yeah right! With people around and new places, she LOVED looking around and soaking it all in. 

I was told to try and wait as long as I can and nurse her during take off. Fail! When Carly doesn't want to eat, she won't eat. Needless to say she didn't nurse and screamed for about 20 minutes while take off. She didn't scream because of her ears not popping. I think it was because I was trying to get her to eat and she didn't like it. Carly doesn't like the privacy cover and she doesn't like to be forced to eat. I learned my lesson. haha. She screamed and it felt like everyone was staring.

We had a layover in Nashville, Tennessee. Jeremy and I were able to sit down at a restaurant and eat a mushroom/swiss cheese hamburger and fries. It was delicious.

Walking through the airports I had Carly in the baby carrier and she loved facing out to see everyone and everything.

During the flight from Nashville to Denver there was a nine month old baby boy. He and Carly took turns crying during the flight. There were a few times that I had Carly sleeping in my arms and she would wake up when he would start crying. When he would stop, Carly would start crying. We talked to the parents of the little boy as we were waiting for our luggage. It was fun to talk with them especially since our babies had a crying war on the flight. He was sound asleep.

Jeremy was such a trooper. He had everything for Carly on his lap and he would hand me things as  I asked for them. Jeremy and I would trade off who had her. That baby gets so heavy! There were a few times that she would be crying so we would hold her up in the air and she would see people behind us and just smile and giggle! She loved that.

I did ask the flight attendant for some ice at one point. I had packed a washcloth in our carry-on to put ice in and have Carly suck on it. The ice calmed her down for about five minutes.

It didn't help that Carly is teething, it was waaaayyy past her bedtime, and I couldn't change scenery when she would start crying. Usually when she is crying and I am sitting down, I move to the next room or get up and walk around and she is fine. Too bad we were on an airplane and we couldn't do that!

At one point when Carly was crying, I just put her down on my lap. She immediately grabbed her toes and stopped crying. Silly Carly.
Carly has actually been sleeping better here at Grammy and Grandpa's house. Not sure what it is but we think it is Grandpa Jim's fan he is letting her borrow so she doesn't get too hot in our room :) She has been sleeping closer to four hours a night instead of three like she was at home. Carly was sleeping through the night (10 HOURS!) until she started teething. Now we are back to newborn hours, up every couple of hours to eat.

This is how I found Carly for her two hour nap! She loves to pull her dress up to suck on it as she goes to sleep. She has been taking longer naps too!



1 comment:

  1. Sorry to read the flights were so rough. It doesn't help that she's teething... starve her before boarding the plane, maybe she'll eat then ?? :).... oh well.. just flights back to think about, the day before, not now.. :). she is such a chunk!!! lol.. love it and miss all of you!

    ReplyDelete